Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MIRROR MIRROR, WITH JULIA ROBERTS

Marion Pellicano-Ambrose


My husband finally consented to see a movie I wanted , so last night we went to see Mirror, Mirror. I’m sure the only reason he agreed is because he’s enamored with Julia Roberts and her big lips, but that’s OK, as long as I got to see a movie without gratuitous sex and violence.

The story of Snow White is in there somewhere, but it’s very different from the traditional version immortalized by Disney. In this version, Snow White becomes more of a modern woman who doesn’t really need a prince to come along and save her. The prince (played by Armie Hammer), by the way, reminded me in looks, speech, and manner, of Brendan Frasier in The Mummy!  I know it’s ridiculous, but his name is just too close to the baking soda!

 For me, the best part of the movie was Julia Robert’s wardrobe. I SO want her ball costume for Halloween! Her performance was as good as the part could allow. Her  vibrancy and spunk didn’t really shine through as it has in previous roles.  Lily Collins, who played Snow White was lovely. She reminded me of Ann Hathaway, who I adore. I think she did a wonderful job portraying the “coming of age” of young Snow White. The sweet, shy girl became a spunky, brave warrior for her kingdom.

Possibly the best performance was that of Nathan Lane as Brighton, the Queens flunky. He was likable, even as he carried out the Queens evil commands. As always, he injected comedy and satire into his performance. To my husband’s dismay, and my delight, a group of little girls celebrating a birthday, sat 2 rows in front of us. They absolutely loved the movie. There was laughter, giggling, oohing and aahing throughout the film. Of course, there was all those things throughout the advertisements and coming attractions, but the point is, they really enjoyed the film.

 All in all, I’d give Mirror 4 out of 5 stars. It was enjoyable and entertaining, but not quite what I expected. Still, I think it’s worth seeing.



No comments:

Post a Comment