Baked Fresh Ham with Herbs
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dry rubbed sage
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
11/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (4 to 6 slices of bread)
1/3 cup (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted (3 ounces)
10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim the fat to an even 1/8-inch thickness. Prick the ham all over and cut 11/2-inch-deep gashes evenly over top of the ham (on the side with the fat).This will be the “top” of the ham, where you will “stuff” the stuffing.
- Place the garlic, onion, parsley, celery, thyme, sage, and mustard in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process to a paste, then stir together in a bowl with the breadcrumbs, melted butter, and spinach to create the stuffing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press the stuffing deep into the gashes; fingers work best. Place the ham fat side up on a rack in the roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees.Begin checking the ham after 4 hours. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees (approximately 51/2 hours total cooking time).
- Let sit at room temperature, covered loosely with foil, for at least 30 minutes. The internal temperature should rise to 155 degrees.
- Make the gravy while the roast is resting.