Monday, May 9, 2011

1970 - Let's Go Back!

Dawn Boyle

Yesterday we celebrated Mother's Day at my brother and sister-in-laws house. I really enjoyed myself and it was beautiful out. We were talking about the prices of gas and how much our mortgage payments were. Then went on to locking or unlocking doors at night and how we don't let our children play alone in the front the house. We talked about all the things that have changed since the 70's. I tried to explain things to my kids, they didn't get it so I went visual and googled stuff for them to actually look at - I explained about Atari and phones on cords. How I would walk out the front door and all the way down the driveway on the CORDED phone. I showed them Simon and mastermind. They were about done with me and my trip down memory lane, but I kept digging. I have some stuff listed below to jog your memory and have some fun flashbacks!

Music 70's

  • Progressive rock created a new generation of bands including Genesis, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Pink Floyd. Many other singers and bands also started or strengthened their fan base including The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Queen, Black Sabbath .
  • In Europe, the music was not as progressive from bands like T Rex, Gary Glitter and David Bowie, and bands like Slade and the Sweet. and possibly the most successful in the 70's being ABBA
Some of the Most Well Known Movie Stars of the Seventies

Paul Newman
Robert Redford
Clint Eastwood
John Wayne
Burt Reynolds
Al Pacino
Woody Allen
Barbra Streisand

My Top 10 Movies of the 70's
  • 10. Smokey & the Bandits
  • 9. Jaws
  • 8. Rocky
  • 7. Slap Shot
  • 6. StarWars
  • 5. Superman
  • 4. Tommy: the Movie
  • 3. Grease
  • 2. The GodFather II
  • 1. The GodFather
My Favorite Games of the 70's
Ants in the Pants
Down the Drain
Don't Break the Ice
Perfection
Mastermind
Knock em Sock em Robots
Hungry Hungry Hippos
Monopoly
Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down

Popular Culture 1970's

The Waterbed The 70's produced many icons , one of those being the modern waterbed created by Charles Hall in 1968, This was fueled by the sexual revolution of the 70's encompassing the Waterbed .

What are you fondest 70's memories that I didn't get on here?

One thing that has certainly changed since the 70's is my memory....I lost that, my mother says that happens when you have kids - THANK GOD we have google now to find it!

5 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that I grew up in the 70's! It was such a happy relaxed time. Im really sad that my kids won't experience that. My Mother would let My 14 year old Brother take me to the City and other places for adventures. He didn't have to call Her every hour or anything. When We came home We came home, We even hitched hiked! Do you think there were always crazies out there but now we are way to aware, or the crazies have multiplied through the decades? That's a good lunch time poll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember the Gas Crisis, Son of Sam and Viet Nam. My neighbors son went from a happy friendly guy to a sullen quiet man after his first tour in Viet Nam and then the police taking him down from his mothers roof to the funny farm after the second tour... Good times indeed, the past is often better than we remember. Here is something to think about statistically speaking we are all safer now than ever before. As adults we take on more responsibility, so thing always seem more scary than the did in our innocent youth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 70's were the best of times! Star Trek went into syndication, some of the best Newberry Award children's books were publishd (Sounder,Bridge to Teribithia,Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Summer of the Swans). I remember mood rings, lava lamps, Rubiks's Cube, Sea Monkeys, bell bottoms and earth shoes! I could go on and on! The most controversial was Roe vs Wade. We went to the movies to see Grease,Rocky, and of course Star Wars! I forgot how much I miss those days! Thanks for the trip down memory lane Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the 70's are a happy place for me because it was long before any time of responsibility for me...being a kid in whatever decade you grow up in is probably the best for you...cause you get to be a kid!

    I guess one day I will be listening to my kids tell my grandchildren how awesome their youth was as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Dawn.. I'm more of an 80's chick myself maybe we can relive that era on a blog some day.

    ReplyDelete