Friday, May 13, 2011

I'LL REMEMBER JOE



Marion Pellicano Ambrose

Let me begin by saying I’ve been luckier twice than most women are even once in their lifetime. I was widowed at 27 but am now happily remarried to Russ, the most wonderful man I could ask for. He’s an amazing husband, an outstanding father and the love of my life. But loving Russ with all my heart doesn’t diminish my feelings for the first love of my life, Joe! Russ understands that and it makes me love and respect him even more!

It’s almost May and with that month comes a flood of memories for me. For the past 25 years, Police Memorial Day has been a time to mourn the loss of Joe all over again. Even after all this time, the pain is just as deep and the loss feels just as fresh as if it were yesterday. If you knew Joe, you would understand. Joe was killed while directing traffic at the scene of a fire. It was just before dawn when the haze makes it hard to see. The driver of the truck that hit him was on his way to work with his wife and baby in the car, and apparently looking at the fire as he drove past. He never saw my husband until it was too late. It was later learned that the fire was a result of arson.

Joe was a big guy: 6’2 and built like a linebacker. He was handsome, strong and smart but most of all he was kind and loving. Everyone loved to be around him because of his sense of humor. The man loved to laugh and could make everyone laugh with him. He loved to listen to people’s stories, which is one of the qualities that made him such a great police officer. Joe was the type of cop you saw on TV. He was friendly, polite, helpful and fearless. He loved to let kids sit in the police car and try the siren and he never missed an opportunity to wave and smile at people. I didn’t fully appreciate just how loved he was by so many people until after he was killed.

One letter I received was from a lady whose son had been hanging with a bad crowd. Joe came upon them doing some mischief. Apparently, he sensed the boy didn’t quite belong with the crowd so he took him home in the police car and talked to him all the way. Whatever he said, the mom reported that after that night he never saw those boys again and started to focus on his education. He wound up going to Divinity School and becoming a minister. She credited it all to Joe, even though only he and her son know what it was Joe said that night.

At Joe’s funeral, a man came up to me and took my hand. “Your husband was a wonderful, caring and fair man and I have great respect for him.” I thanked the man and asked if he worked with Joe. “Sort of” he replied, “He arrested me.” I stood with my mouth open while he went and said a prayer at the casket. He wasn’t the only one who showed up at the funeral who had met Joe under unusual circumstances. Some came and told me he caught them speeding but it was close to Christmas and he didn’t want them to have to come up with money for a ticket when they had toys to buy, so he let them go with a warning. Others talked about how he stayed with them, helping and talking to them at the scene of an accident (He was also an EMT and a Fireman). He always knew how to calm people and get them to trust him, and he never betrayed that trust.

During his short two years on the police force, Joe received several awards and accommodations. He rescued a lady from a burning trailer, caught a robber red handed, disarmed a criminal during a house search and so many other acts of bravery. He loved being a police officer and was proud to serve.

So on Police Memorial Day, I will go to the cemetery once again. I’ll see the Melbourne Police Department insignia on his tombstone, the model of his police car I had made and encased in glass, and the words “Died in the line of duty” printed on the stone. I’ll remember that horrific morning when his Lieutenant came to my door and the terrible, hazy days that followed. But most of all, I’ll remember the man who was the funniest, kindest, bravest, most honorable man I’ve ever known. I’ll remember Joe.

Editor's Note: Police Memorial Day is May 15th.  For events in your area read 

NATIONAL POLICE MEMORIAL WEEK for links and more information

Our heartfelt respect and prayers to all those often unsung HEROS who have died in the line of duty and to their families.  May God Bless them all always!

10 comments:

  1. I am forever in awe of you! You constantly inspire, love unconditionally and have an unmatched caliber of strength and courage that never ceases to amaze me! XOXOX <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing Marion - my heart goes out to you, your Joe and all the people we remember this month(and should always remember) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may not have had the pleasure of meeting him in person but I know he was a pretty amazing guy and he will continue to inspire people through your stories and through the legacy he left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe was my friend. He loved to live and laugh but most of all he loved Marion, his son Joseph and being a police officer! Marion, you captured him completely with your words. I still miss him too! (And I also agree, Russ is one special guy too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I never met him, I feel that I know him. Thanks for sharing his memory. Also, a sincere thank you to all our men and women who serve our Country! God bless you and keep you safe!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing this...heart warm thoughts go out to Joe....you and Russ!!! Will think of you all on May 15th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Marion, I read your heartfelt words with new found appreciation for a wonderful man that I wish I had had the opportunity to meet.

    You teach us all through your writing that while awful things happen in this world, love never dies.

    I'll be holding you and your memories of your beloved, truly good first husband in my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember so well arriving at school that morning and hearing the devastating news. It was so sad, but I always admired the way you got through it. Had to be y our faith...your tribute to Joe is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe sounds like a real hero and an all around good guy! So does Russ. You're a lucky lady Marion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marion, thank you for sharing! You embrace your blessings and inspire hope with your honest courage - thank you for all you do to remind us that life goes on no matter what - and the sun shines again, blessings come again!

    ReplyDelete