Monday, July 11, 2011

DISABLED BUT ABLE



Tony Walker


OK gang. I am pissed.
I hate to admit it, but I am a disabled person. I try my best to not be disabled but I am reminded every time I use my left foot to control the pedals in my car, every time I have to sit on a bath chair to take a shower, every time my son runs & I cannot chase him because I don't know how to run. However... I can still carry heavy equipment, I can keep up with the 2 guys who are helping me redo my kitchen right now, I can perform in live theatre, & I am better in bed than most men.
One thing I can do is drive a big truck, work special equipment that puts a telephone pole in the ground, climb a ladder, & work on the pole. I received 100% clearance from several doctors allowing me to do the job I had for several years. I busted my ass to get that clearance.
So why won't my employer allow me to do this job? Why would they put me on light duty which denies me overtime? Why would they call me a liability & make fun of me about it? Why would they make me inadequate & take money away from me... money that I need to take care of my family? Why would they force me out, deny my disability retirement request which forced me to collect Social Security, but then they messed with that too? 
I am not bucking the system.... it's pretty hard to fake a fake leg.
I've been through hell. I had cancer.
When will it end?!
Well guess what you bastards.... the end may be coming.
Check out this article.
After more than 3 years since I filed my lawsuit I finally have my first court date on July 19. Wish me luck!!
Disabled people are still abled damnit!!!
When I win my lawsuit I am stealing Boyle for a weekend.... a week.... a month... to do some big time celebrating!

4 comments:

  1. Tony I hope you get things turned around and it's great that you are spreading the word! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Employers are always finding ways to take advantage of their workers. Disability is an easy one... and they tell themselves they are protecting the company. You are right to fight for your rights here; it must have been a difficult decision and road to follow. I hope it goes well on the 19th, will look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fighting for what is just and right is n uphill battle whether as an adult or as an advocate for your child. Much luck to you Tony! I hope justice is served.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today the court has informed us that our court date is being postponed. They asked to reschedule for August 5 but of course my employer said that date doesn't work for them. Now we play the waiting game hoping for a new date that everyone can agree on!
    And the hits just keep on coming!!
    Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete