Saturday, December 22, 2012

KEEP OUR SOLDIER'S CANDLE BURNING

Marion Pellicano Ambrose

 
Growing up, I always looked forward to Christmas Eve night, when my father would call us all to the porch and light a candle to place in the window.  The candle was to light the way for the Holy Family and to show that we always had room for them at our house. I love this tradition, but this year, I'd like to change it a little. I'm sure the Holy Family won't mind at all!   I'd like to invite you to join me in keeping a light in the window for our soldiers, still overseas, who won't be able to be with their loved ones this Christmas.


There’s a candle in the window
For our soldier off at war,
Standing constant vigil ’til
His foreign tour is o’er.

The sentinel stands faithfully
Through day and dark of night,
Reminding all who look its way,
To pray for Freedom’s fight.

For safety and for courage,
And for wisdom do we pray;
That God may grant him all these things
As his Comrade day by day.

Now stand, O Candle, bright and tall,
Alert us all, each one,
That the price of freedom is not cheap,
And its battle not yet done.

So light his way and burn for him,
And for his safe returning;
Our love will be the fuel that keeps
Our soldier’s candle burning

No comments:

Post a Comment