Friday, July 22, 2011

MODERN MIRACLE- AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT IT IS!


Marion Pellicano Ambrose
I’ve been so focused on trying to lose weight lately! I gained a lot of weight when I had to be on Prednisone for 9 months. It didn’t help my disease, but it made me blow up like the Goodyear Blimp! Since I’ve been off steroids, I’ve tried everything to lose weight: Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Counting calories, and starvation. I lost a pound one day and gained it back the next, even without cheating! Finally I read that Atkins helped people with Autoimmune Diseases to lose weight so I followed it faithfully for a month and a half. I lost 15 pounds and was thrilled, except no one seemed to notice a difference. My clothes fit a little better, but not what I would have expected. After the first 15, I hit a plateau and couldn’t lose any more. I broke the diet and went back to plain, healthy eating (low fat, no bread or cake, very little sweets at all and lots of veggies and fruit) and gained 10 pounds! I know I would probably lose some weight if I could exercise, but my disease keeps me from even walking any distance. I can’t lift things, raise my arms above my head or even stand for any period of time. I realized I was depressed, tired all the time, couldn’t concentrate and I started to lose my hair again(and I’m not on chemo). I also noticed the spasms in my legs have gotten worse and I’m having trouble sleeping at night.
Sound familiar? If you are experiencing these same symptoms I might have news for the both of us! I came across some information that may hold the key to my problem. The following are all some of the major symptoms and signs associated with an under active thyroid. Some symptoms are more significant than others. 
Depression, weight gain, difficulty losing weight, low energy, fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, slowed thinking, poor concentration, brain fog, memory problems, insomnia, poor sleep, waking up exhausted,tingling in hands and feet, muscle pain, swelling in ankles, constipation, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, anemia, thinned eyebrows, pale, puffy skin, vertigo, fibrocystic breasts, low body temperature and hoarse voice.

The information was in an advertisement for a supplement that is supposed to handle all these symptoms and make you lose weight.  I couldn’t believe what it was when I read it…………Iodine! The article stated that a combination of (5mg), Iodide(7.5mg),Selenium (15mcg) and Vitamin B2 (15mg) was all that was needed to reverse all the effects of an underactive thyroid- without a prescription. It also has been shown to help several other disorders. These conditions include Fibromyalgia, thyroid disorders, chronic fatigue immune deficiency syndrome, autoimmune disorders as well as cancer.

Is it true? Well, I did some research and there seems to be quite a lot of evidence backing it up. I found several varieties available on the internet and several studies showing that it does work for about 97% of the people tested. I sent away for the most popular form, Iodoral and plan to give it a go! Hopefully, the next time I post a picture of myself I’ll be thin, glowing with vitality and I’ll remember where I put my car keys! If you’re interested in doing some research yourself, here are some of the places I went for information.
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-09/IOD_09.htm

2 comments:

  1. Marion-
    I have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimotos). If you think you might be hypothyroid, it's really important to get a Free T3,Free T4 and TSH test done.

    Too little iodine in the diet can harm the thyroid, it is true. But with our American, high salt diets, we have a problem with too much iodized salts in our diet and that in turn can agitate thyroid disorders. Taking additional iodine could quite likely make the situation worse.

    I'm on Synthroid. As people get older, the more common it is to become hypothyroid- as many as one in five women (my mother and sister were both diagnosed last year).

    Certain vegetables- brocolli and also consuming soy can interfere with thyroid hormone production.

    Hopefully you can get a good answer to all this- it sure does sound like you are hypothyroid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina, good advice! In the original post I should have added that anyone thinking of taking this should consult their doctor firt!

    ReplyDelete