Thursday, September 8, 2011

SHAKEN TO THE BONE...


Dawn Boyle

Over the past few weeks I noticed a number of people sharing the post below on their social media outlets.

Frisrt responders 9/11 Anniversary Protest Message

At first I thought "this is a virus". There could be no way that the people who risked their lives on September 11,  2001 and every day they worked since would be shut out of the memorial.
The claims in the message are true and have been confirmed by a number of credible news reports. An August 16 report published on UPI.com notes:
NEW YORK, Aug. 16 (UPI) -- First responders who rushed to the disaster scene on Sept. 11, 2001, are not invited to this year's memorial service at Ground Zero, New York officials confirm.

The service is scheduled for Sept. 11, 10 years after the terror attacks.

In a statement, a spokesman for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Brent, said the memorial is for victims' families, CNN reported.
An August 17 Fox News report concurs, noting:
New York – They were the first ones on the scene when the World Trade Center towers fell on September 11, 2001, but ten years later, the first responders are being told that they will not be invited to take part in this year's tenth anniversary ceremony at Ground Zero.

The city announced earlier this week that due to security and space issues, there would be no room for the first responders.
What a disgrace to those brave men and women who risked their lives and health to respond to the events that occured that day. New York officials claim that the 10th Anniversary memorial ceremony will focus on the families of victims. New York Mayoral spokesman, Andrew Brent stated that "given the space constraints, we're working to find ways to recognize and honor first responders, and other groups, at different places and times."

Official invitations have not be sent to first responders in previous years, they were still free to attend memorial ceremonies if they desired and thousands have done so. This, the 10 year memorial is reportedly the first year in which first responders have been officially advised that they are not invited to the event.

This story gives me a pit in my stomach. I am thankful for all the people who rushed into those buildings, while others were desperately trying to get out. I think of all the people in my life that have lost a husband, father, brother or friend that were there on that day. All they did to help and this is the thanks we give to the others "left behind:"?

Something has to be done...we need to make sure these hero's know not all New Yorkers or even Americans agree with Bloomberg and other officials that have made this decision.

11 comments:

  1. Dawn, I was one of those who shared that post. I also shared the posted emailaddress of Mayor Bloomberg and guess what, it's invalid. I could find NO WAY to contact him or anyone at City Hall via email! I guess he's not interested in what the people think! You're so right, this a a disgrace and slap in the face to the courageous first responders in NYC and everywhere! I don't understand why the press isn't all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marion it surprises me too! It also surprises me how we are not getting comments on this post!!!

    WHERE ARE OUR HEARTS????? SICKENS ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could call or email 311 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 311 maybe very busy after tonight's press conference. ‎"Specific Terror Alert" for NY and DC... There are no words, only prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's been reported is that US and European officials said Tuesday they have detected a plot to carry out a major, coordinated series of commando-style terror attacks in Britain, France, Germany and possibly the United States.

    A senior US official said that while there is a "credible" threat, no specific time or place is known.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can contact the mayor through a form on the www.nyc.gov web site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anonymous for the info!!! I am going to express my feelings now! SPREAD THE WORD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love when you express your feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually there have been many stories about this. A petition was also started requesting that first responders be allowed to attend the ceremony. There has been a lot of frustration expressed at this decision. I don't think that many first responders believe that many support this decision. It is a shame that space limitations have impacted any group for the ceremony being held on Sunday. However there have been other ceremonies just for first responders, such as yesterday's ceremony for police officers at Lincoln Center.

    What is more of an outrage is that first responders are still fighting for health care coverage for illnesses they say they contracted at Ground Zero. Cancer is not covered under the Zadroga Act. That is a disgrace. That's where my outrage is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. brinkka2011 says: Im struggling to get a way to make contact with you through your website, do you not have a contact form on the website at all?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Laura!!

    For those who would like to contact us via email our address is delayedreactionlouge@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete