Friday, January 6, 2012


Marion Pellicano Ambrose

It’s a disgusting thought that someone might find a mouse in a can of Mountain Dew Soda, but that’s exactly what Roland Ball from Illinois is claiming. Ball is suing Pepsi over the alleged mouse found in a can he purchased in November of 2009.

Pepsi rejects the claim, saying that the acid in the Mountain Dew would have disintegrated the mouse’s body. Now THAT is even more disgusting! I’ve heard stories that Coke can dissolve a nail or strip a penny, and that didn’t stop me from drinking my Diet Coke several times a day, but somehow knowing that there is enough acid to melt a mouse, well, it makes me think I should be switching to water!

I did a little research and “Life Science” ( reported about a study done on soft drinks and their effect on tooth enamel due to acid levels. They found that :

“The erosive potential of colas is 10 times that of fruit juices in just the first three minutes of drinking, a study last year showed. The latest research, published in Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) journal General Dentistry, reports that drinking any type of soft drink hurts teeth due to the citric acid and/or phosphoric acid in the beverages.”
RC Cola was found to be the most acidic soft drink studied, with a pH of 2.387 (the pH scale ranges from 0 to 14 for most liquids, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the least acidic—or most alkaline). Cherry Coke was found to be the next most acidic (pH of 2.522), and Coke was the third most acidic soda tested (pH of 2.525). Battery acid has a pH of 1.0. Pure water at room temperature has a pH of 7.0. Root beer was found to be the least acidic of all soft drinks, with a pH 4.038 for the Mug brand. The reason for the reduced acidity is that root beer is often non-carbonated and contains no phosphoric or citric acids.

So knowing that my Diet Coke can damage my enamel and possibly melt a mouse, will I really give it up and replace it with all natural, life-giving, pure water? Probably not! It might kill me, but I love my Diet Coke! What about you?


  1. I never drink from a can because I'm afraid a bug has crawled in, but now I'll never EVER drink from a can! Ewwwww!

  2. I cut soda way back years ago... and consider it a treat. Reality is, it's more like poison. I'm thinking after reading this refresher, i need to redefine treat! Thanks for the reminder, Marion!

  3. Trying to "kick" artificial sweeteners too, thanks to my dear friend Val, who is a nutritionist, and has shred the evils! (BTW - I've cut way back!) How about a comment Val???? How about some posts from you!!!!