Tuesday, May 31, 2011

SHE SAID... WHERE WAS OLD GLORY?



Marion Pellicano Ambrose
Yesterday was Memorial Day. It was the day to show our respect and appreciation for those who paid the price for our freedom, to honor our military for their bravery and dedication. It was a day to proudly fly the American Flag!
So where were all the flags? I drove up and down streets all over town and saw only a handful of homes with flags displayed.  I was pleased to see that our city did display flags down the main thoroughfare, but as for individual homes, I was greatly disappointed.
After 9-11 you couldn’t turn a corner without seeing Old Glory from every porch or flagpole in the yard of every home. The sense of patriotism and pride was strong and we thought, acted and lived unified as Americans.  Today, the sad fact is that we’ve allowed ourselves to become divided by ideologies, politics, and who knows what else.
Why are we so fickle? Why can’t we put all these things aside and agree to disagree on some things but agree that we are all Americans and proud of that fact? We can all agree that our country is great, that the men and women of our Military deserve our thanks and respect, that every human being should be treated equally and have the same opportunities, and that each one of us has the potential to make a difference. If we can agree on all that, than we should agree to celebrate our country and its holidays with more than Barbeques, beach parties and beer bashes! Get that flag up and show your pride! 
Proud to be an American, proud to be married to a Navy Veteran!
What do you think? Were the flags flying in your neighborhood this Memorial Day?

5 comments:

  1. Im happy to report that in Northport Ny the Flags were flying high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I saw one boat this weekend that was not flying high and proud! Our Second Chance had two flags and a bunch of people on it in red, white and blue! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad to admit that my neighborhood was virtually flagless too. I did have mine up but it looked pretty lonely. I think I'll copy this post and leave it in everyone's mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My flag was flying, but not too many others in my neighborhood. I hope 4th of July will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not so many in my neck of the woods - sad! My Dad always mad sure we flew the red white & blue - I do my best to do the same! Just proof that what you do will matter to your kids - now & then!

    ReplyDelete