Thursday, June 2, 2011

PARANORMAL PUB -THE VISIT: A TRUE IRISH GHOST TALE

Marion Pellicano Ambrose
This week’s Paranormal Pub is dedicated to our friends in the UK!
From the time I was a little girl, I remember my father’s relatives talking about “visits”.  These visits were appearances of relatives or friends at the time of a death or shortly after. Apparently, this is not unusual in Irish families.
A tale is told as a  personal experience by the Archdeacon of Limerick, Very Rev. J. A. Haydn, LL.D.
"In the year 1879 there lived in the picturesque village of Adare, at a distance of about eight or nine miles from my residence, a District Inspector, with whom I enjoyed a friendship of the most intimate and fraternal kind. At the time I write of, his good wife was expecting the arrival of their third child. She was a particularly tiny and fragile woman, and much anxiety was felt as to the result of the impending event. He and she had very frequently spent pleasant days at my house, with all the apartments of which they were thoroughly acquainted—a fact of importance in this narrative.


On Wednesday, October 17, 1879, I had a very jubilant letter from my friend, announcing that the expected event had successfully happened on the previous day, and that all was progressing satisfactorily. On the night of the following Wednesday, October 22, I retired to bed at about ten o'clock. My wife, the children, and two maid-servants were all sleeping upstairs, and I had a small bed in my study, which was on the ground floor. The house was shrouded in darkness, and the only sound that broke the silence was the ticking of the hall-clock.


I was quietly preparing to go to sleep, when I was much surprised at hearing, with the most unquestionable distinctness, the sound of light, hurried footsteps, exactly suggestive of those of an active, restless young female, coming in from the hall door and traversing the hall. They then, apparently with some hesitation, followed the passage leading to the study door, on arriving at which they stopped. I then heard the sound of a light, agitated hand apparently searching for the handle of the door. By this time, being quite sure that my wife had come down and wanted to speak to me, I sat up in bed, and called to her by name, asking what was the matter. “I must go” I heard. “Go where ?” I asked, still believing it to be my wife. “Farewell, farewell” was the last sound I heard. I struck a match, lighted a candle, and opened the door. No one was visible or audible. I went upstairs, found all the doors shut and everyone asleep. Greatly puzzled, I returned to the study and went to bed, leaving the candle alight. Immediately the whole performance was circumstantially repeated, but this time the handle of the door was grasped by the invisible hand, and partly turned, then relinquished. I started out of bed and renewed my previous search, with equally futile results. The clock struck eleven, and from that time all disturbances ceased.
On Friday morning I received a letter stating that my friend’s wife had died at about midnight on the previous Wednesday. I hastened off to Adare and had an interview with my bereaved friend. With one item of our conversation I will close. He told me that his wife sank rapidly on Wednesday, until when night came on she became delirious. She spoke incoherently, as if revisiting scenes and places once familiar. 'She thought she was in your house,' he said, 'and was apparently holding a conversation with you, as she used to keep silence at intervals as if listening to your replies.' I asked him if he could possibly remember the hour at which the imaginary conversation took place. He replied that, curiously enough, he could tell it accurately, as he had looked at his watch, and found the time between half-past ten and eleven o'clock—the exact time of the mysterious manifestations heard by me."


Adapted from True Irish Ghost Stories, by St. John D. Seymour and Harry L. Neligan, [1914],

1 comment:

  1. I had such a visit from my aunt who raised me. I fell asleep on the couch and the doorbell rang. It was snowy and cold so when I saw it was my Aunt, I rushed her in to get warm. We sat on the couch and suddenly I realized she had died earlier that year. She disappeared and I thought I had dreampt it but there was snow on the carpet leading up to the couch!

    ReplyDelete