Thursday, March 3, 2011

THESE THINGS ARE GOOD

DAWN BOYLE

Have you ever noticed that there is truth to the saying your junk is someone else's treasure?? I learned that again from my little girl today. We recently went through our closets and drawers. A little pre-spring, spring cleaning. I gave both girls clear plastic bags and told them not to fill them yet, start a pile of stuff that is garbage and a pile that is not. I came back about 15 minutes later and there were about 5 different piles growing into the hallway. I asked what was the story with all the piles and was told, "just cause it might not be my favorite anymore it might be someone elses".
I assured that everything that did not have a hole in it would be given to good will. Gracie walked over to the first pile and said while holding up a shirt, "my cousin told me once she thought this was pretty", stepped to next pile and she said "these would be good for little girls that don't have dresses and need to go somewhere there Mom makes them wear a dress", next pile "these are all clothes that were good once, but I had too much fun in them and now they are garbage, but Mommy they might not be garbage, there might be just right for someone that needs these clothes, don't throw them out".

For a week all the clear plastic bags were lined up along the upstairs hallway. This morning I got the girls ready for school and started taking the bags down one by one to the back of the trunk. Gracie gave me a kiss as she ran to the bus and said "Remember you promised that none of that is garbage". I winked and she ran to the stop. She was right. I loaded up the car and decided to spread the "wealth" of our out grown/worn out clothing. I went to 3 different churches and handed them into the outreach program. It was a pain in the neck but I have to tell you - I felt pretty good and for some reason this came to mind...

"These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face."


No idea why, but Gracie has it right...so easy to be kind and find the beauty in little things and little ones.



1 comment:

  1. Lovely story Dawn. My little Diva believes when something new comes in our home whatever it may be clothes, toys, books, games. We need to share with others so we have many boxes some for clothes to go to schools were kids can't afford winter coats or snow pants and hats and mitten , jeans or other types of clothes because they grow so fast (faster then some Moms and Dads bank accounts). Daycares for toys that are age appropriate and books. And stuff we don't know where it should go o becuz you know someone somewhere can always need a little something to brighten their day those things go to Good Will or Salvation Army

    ReplyDelete