Friday, September 2, 2011

FROM FUNK TO FISHNETS...BRINGING SELF BACK

Dawn Boyle
It's here. The very last week of "summer". I feel like it was over in a blink of the eye. I feel that the days, months and now years are going too fast. I feel like I am entering into a new phase of my life...

A handful of months ago I turned 40. I handled it pretty well, if I may say so. I celebrated with my family and friends (somewhat - I think someone slipped me a mickey that night...you know who you are). I barreled into my new coming of age year with balls to the wall. I have to admit, I fell short of all the personal promises to myself. I wanted to accomplish way more than I did. I will say I kept to my word on a number of key issues, but once again let myself and my attempt at continuing it to be a "ME" year flat line.

I am not one of those people who believes in making resolutions, but I have to do something to bounce back. To get out of the funk that has encompassed me for a while now. I am taking the starting of the school year as my key to unlock the bullshit I have allowed into my own head and release it.

I had a good summer, not a great summer, but a pretty good one. I feel that I really need to start reading the Soul Food on our site, I need inspiration. I need a boost. I need a fresh start.

My friend Mary Sunshine tells me all the time that it starts with believing it and making it happen. So I say this...I believe. I believe that it's time to snap out of it and MOVE FORWARD. Leave all the crap of what is coming up on the year anniversary behind me. To let go of the issues other people have that for some reason I take on as my own. I need to embrace my immediate future and make it happen...what "it" is, I am excited to reveal within myself.

It's time to pull on the FISHNETS and let it ride!!! START SOMETHING POSITIVE TODAY. MAKE A DEAL WITH YOURSELF TO MAKE THIS A YOU YEAR!!! SHAKE IT UP  AND LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT TO LIVE...I am going to give it my all!!

11 comments:

  1. BRAVO!!! Quite often "victim" of my own funk... I say - There is no shame in beginning again - the only failure is in failing to start!

    To quote you to you - throw up your hands and enjoy the ride - You do your own share of dishing up some "Soul Food" - remember that you do.
    KEEP THE PROMISES YOU MAKE TO YOURSELF!!!

    If I may take moment & point out a major positive from the past 12 months - The blessing of the friendship we have forged and this "place" that we have built and love called DRL. And, I know you know that - but I wanted to say it! That said, LOVE YOU, my friend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Freaking SunshineSeptember 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM

    Know I believe in YOU!!!
    Know I love you!!!
    Know I'll be here for you!!!
    Know and remember there are those days even Mary Sunshine, funks out--- SH*T GIRL, You've even heard me, "Mary Freaking Sunshine", drop the F-Bomb, might I add - on more then one occasion!

    LMAO.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great post, I love your honesty. It's hard, but worth re-inventing yourself. You are a beautiful person and humerous writer. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I needed that!!! I am going to see the glass as half full for once in my life. Good Luck on your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminds me of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love the post Dawn. So many days we all tend to sit and wallow in our lives. Truth is somebody always has it worse than us. Hardest thing though is to self reflect and see what changes you can/need to make for yourself for positive growth. Even harder is to implement them! One positive thought and a smile everyday is a step in the right direction! I haven't known you long, but can tell you are a smart intelligent with a heart of gold! Keep smiling and thinking positively and all good will come little by little. Live for today but plan for tomorrow! The old saying life is too short is sooo true! Thanks for a wonderful post which made me just self reflect myself a minute. xoxo Damn no I just reflected that I have get off Facebook and get to work! Thanks! lolololol

    ReplyDelete
  7. This time of year puts many people in a funk....
    End of summer symbolizing the end of fun.
    Back to school... yuck.
    As much as my kids drive me crazy, I am sad that they are going back to school & will miss them while they're gone.
    Dawn, take a look at all the wonderful things people are saying about you on this thread. Hopefully that helps you.
    I'll add some more worship too... since we've reconnected we're way more closer now than we ever were in school. I can't tell you how much I value your friendship. We've been there for each other quite a bit. I know I can come to you & count on you every single time.
    Take a look at this wonderful site you & Barbara put together. What an accomplishment!
    If you're in a funk, put on some funk! (James Brown, Prince, Sly & The Family, & Lenny Kravitz) Get up & dance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great post, dmk! I think we can all relate to this one on some level. You are awesome and know that you are loved and appreciated by so many. GNO after we get these kids back to school! Let's go spend some of our disposable income <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks everyone for the encouraging comments! Tomorrow is the big day...I hope everyone get's through it with no tears!!!

    ReplyDelete