Monday, October 3, 2011

TRUE FAMILY...A SURPRISING LESSON


Tony Walker

What is the true meaning of the word family? Is family a parent, sibling, cousin, etc? Or is it your closest friends? Who do you rely on more? Who is the first person you turn to when you need something?
A buddy of mine was recently sick. His traditional family, the parents and siblings, were NOT there for him. For the first time in his life he asked for help. He didn't get much of it. He was so disappointed and let down. He said he now looks at his family in a much different light.
Another friend of mine is constantly fighting with her family. Her family does nothing but put her down. She recently had a scheduling issue with work where she needed someone to watch her kids for a little while before and after school. When you have something like that going on who do you turn to first? Your family right??? Well her own parents told her that she's crazy if she thinks they're going to watch her kids for her. Do you believe that???
This made me think. I hardly have anything to do with my extended family. I'd rather spend the Holidays with Salbo, Murph, and Boyle than my "real" family. Friends like them are my family as far as I'm concerned.
Tell us what you think. Almost everyone I know has a story about family. This one's fighting with that one over a will. This one is fighting with that one over who gets more attention. Blah blah blah. Do you have a story like this? Do you rely on friends more than family or is your family always there when you need them?

No comments:

Post a Comment