Wednesday, May 4, 2011

REST IN PEACE LITTLE ANGEL


Dawn Boyle

I teach a small group of children religion. We meet once a week from September through April. My class of kids happens to be children of my friends. We have been together as a group for 3 years. We are there for each other when someone needs a ride to class, we celebrate the joys of a new baby coming into someone's family, the holidays and have also dealt with the loss of a grandparent. We have an amazing little group of now 10 year olds.

I will never forget the day when a parent was dropping off their child and was obviously very upset. She had just learned that her nephew was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, which is a rare form of cancer that affects children. That day started our days of prayer. We offered up every class to our classmate Barbara's cousin Kyle. We participated in fund raisers and dedicated our Walk-A-Thon to Kyle and his cause, which landed our picture in the church bulletin.


We learned that only 30 percent of children that are diagnosed survive because there is little money spent on research. Neuroblastoma is the leading cause of death of children under 18 by disease.

 I have been receiving emails from an outstanding site that allowed the family of Kyle to make updates about his progress. Their story was so incredible. I read about triumphs and doctors visits, about time spent with family and his best friend, I also read this morning about his passing.

Today I sent an email out to my class and their families with the sad news of Kyle's passing and it made me think what could we do to honor Kyle? I decided that it would be best to spread the word about Neuroblastoma, and let my friends and readers know about this horrible disease that is not getting enough funding or attention. Please see the link below about Kyle, about donating in his honor and to finding the cure for Neuroblastoma.

REST KYLE JAMES WILLIAMS REST and GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kylejameswilliams

7 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss Dawn.
    How old was Kyle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So terribly sad. I knew Kyle's father, Jim, in high school. I've been following his story for the past year and a half. My kids are around the same age, and I can't imagine going through all that with as much class and dignity as they have. Tony, Kyle was 6 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle would be almost 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how many people have a connection to this family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caring Bridges is an amazing website for families. We used it when my cousin was taken from us way to early by stomach cancer. Cancer is such an ugly disease, in any form, any part of the body and at any age...a cure NEEDS to be found for all those suffering from this dreaded disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot imagine, or find the words to express the unfathomable heartbreak that losing a child must bring - a darkness so overwhelming that it must seem to swallow you whole. My prayers to Kyle and all those who love him, as well as to al those who have shared this kind of grief. I pray for them to have strength, courage and the will to search to once again find light in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My greatest fear in life, is to out live my child. My prayers go out to Kyle's family, as their heartbreak is something no parent should bear.
    Parents, there IS a warning sign of this disease: if you photograph your child, and suddenly, after always getting two "red eyes", or two 'normal color' ones, one shows up white...DO NOT wait, get your child, and the photo to the Dr. The time between diagnosis, and treatment could make a world of difference....
    RIP Kyle, many will learn from your time here.

    ReplyDelete