Wednesday, July 6, 2011

EPIC MOVIES....LONG GONE?

Tony Walker

For this year's 4th of July Weekend I spent the holiday in bed due to a stomach virus so I either slept, watched the Met/Yankee games, or watched the marathon of Rocky movies on cable TV. Watching Rocky got me thinking.

If you are in your 40's this will make sense to you.
Remember when Rocky 3 & 4 came out?
Remember when Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi came out?
Remember when Batman with Michael Keaton & Jack Nicholson came out?
These weren't just movies. These were events. Major cultural events back then.
So here's my problem. I can't recall a single movie in the past 20 years that had everyone talking before the movie came out.

Remember Batman? People were buzzing! The Batman emblem was everywhere!! Grandmother's were wearing T-shirts with the bat on it!!

Am I wrong? Is the excitement gone for a 40 something once problems of the real world have ruined us? Are there any movies today that have had the affect on today's kids like those movies had on us? Or has the quality of movies gone to the crapper? I personally believe that when someone like DeNiro has to make a third Fockers movie that the quality of movies have gone down the crapper but I'd love it if someone changed my mind on that.

Sure there have been some big movies lately... Avatar comes to mind. But the premiere of that movie wasn't a happening like the movies I mentioned.

Tell us what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment