Wednesday, August 17, 2011

THE AMAZING GARY CARTER

Gary Carter :: C


Tony Walker

A few weeks ago I posted a piece about Baseball Hall Of Famer Gary Carter.
Carter has some inoperable tumors in his brain.
Word came out that the tumors have shrunk by 80%!!!
80%!!!
I have to tell you... I am amazed by this. Are you?
Did I mention it was 80%?
That's quite a number!
Congrats to Gary Carter on this wonderful news. I hope for him & his family the good news keeps coming in.
Ever since I've been following Gary Carter since the early 1980's it's been widely reported that he is a Christian, a "man of God."
I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Do you think someone's faith has anything to do with this miraculous news? Do you think it was the chemo and other meds,  religion has nothing to do with it?
Maybe you think it's neither and what saves you is just a true positive attitude.
I was a devout Catholic when I was young and I was at Church every Sunday from the age of 6 through the age of 26. While I may not practice under the title of a religion now I do have my faith. I also tried to keep a positive attitude while I was sick. I personally believe my survival was a combination of my faith and my attitude but I will also tell you that while those 2 things worked for me I honestly have no idea of that's what every person needs to survive something like cancer.
Tell us what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Miracles happen to those who believe in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with CNS (central nervous system) Lymphoma on 2/28/11. It was confined to my brain. Talk about a curveball. It was a huge panic for me and my family. I never asked what my odds were because I thought it was unfair in terms of my expectation and the doctor’s ability to deliver. I spent enough time on the internet (maybe 4 hours, because most of it is BS) to understand it was going to be able battle. I guess I was ignorant going in the process but after (4) chemo sessions, I am in remission. I did (3) chemo sessions just for good measure. Then I met with the doctors. At that time did they give me reoccurrence percentages (only 35-50 percent success rate!!). If had had know that in, it certainly would have affected my attitude, as I was "game on" throughout the process. I now had a choice of a year’s worth of chemo or stem cell transplant. Although there's not a lot of data on SCT, I decided to "go for it", being the ignoramus that I am. Well, it now the end of August and the worst part is over. After 6 months I'm convinced I am cancer free (PET scan next week).

    Moral - I tell people that getting through whole mess is 50% positive attitude!! My thoughts, prayers and positive "mojo" go out to Gary Carter and the countless others battling with cancer everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken you are not ignorant at all. You are an inspiration.
    You chose to get (or not get) the info that would help you. Whatever it takes to get you through this challenging time.
    I agree that something like this is one major curveball but I disagree about the 50% positive attitude. I think that percentage should be higher!
    I have no doubt that my positive attitude is what got me through my cancer. The same will happen for you.
    While you must let the angry feelings out of your system, staying positive & keeping a smile on your face will save you.
    Please let us know how the PET scan goes next week!!!!

    ReplyDelete