Thursday, October 27, 2011

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT TONY WALKER

Last week I attended a lecture about handling a child with ADHD.
My son is ADHD so I thought it would be interesting.
It was a good lecture but one thing stuck out in my head & I wanted to see what you Delayed Loungers thought of it.
The expert giving the lecture was talking about consequences & rewards for the ADHD child. He said that one of the consequences of forgetting to bring some homework home, forgetting to write down an assignment, etc would result in losing TV or something like that.
When asked to expand on this the man talked about how one child refused to bring certain homework home so he lost something. He then talked about how another child spit grapes all over the floor because he didn't want to do his homework.
I raised my hand. I said that those examples are children acting out, not an ADHD child who is seriously trying his hardest but still forgets certain things. This man's response was he once had to fill out Medicare forms but lost out on some payments because he was filling certain forms out wrong. Losing money forced him to not make those mistakes on the form again.
WHAT?!
Tell us what you think. Do you agree that a child should be punished when he is doing something (or not doing something) that is out of his control?

No comments:

Post a Comment