Monday, October 24, 2011

WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE LIKE.....TONY WALKER




This year my son started middle school. Like me he is having a rough adjustment. But there is one thing that started for him this year that is worse than adjusting to a new school.
"Why can't you be more like your sister?!"
My daughter is autistic. She didn't go to the elementary school that is closest to our home. She went to another school in the district where all the special needs students go. But when she started middle school she goes to the same middle school as everyone else.
She is in 7th & my son is in 6th. One of his teachers is an old teacher of my daughter's. My boy's art teacher is the same art teacher my daughter had last year. I believe he may have another teacher or 2 who has had something to do with my daughter.
One teacher has already said that dealing with my son is a lot different from dealing with my daughter.
So now it begins. My son will be hearing "Why can't you be more like your sister" all the time. I went through the same thing. My brother was loved by everyone. He was nice, polite, & well behaved. I on the other hand was loud, rude, & a wiseass.... I know that may be hard to believe. Going to the same elementary, jr, & high schools as my brother was one thing, but our mother also went to the same schools! Our mother was the quietest student ever. Of course most of the teachers I had remembered my mother. So I got hit with comparisons to both of them all the time. I guess my son being who he is in school is my karma!!
I didn't resent my brother when I got these comparisons but I'll admit sometimes it was a pain. I can see my son is already aggravated & slightly resenting his sister.
Have you ever had to deal with sibling comparisons or were you the one who your sibling was compared to? How did you & your siblings handle it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment