Wednesday, June 22, 2011

PILOT WHALE REPORT FROM KEY LARGO

Marion Pellicano Ambrose
The sun slipped silently into a golden horizon here at Key Largo leaving an ethereal glow on the water. The palm trees swayed gently in the tropical breeze and the air was filled with the scent of flowers. You would think such beautiful surroundings would bring peace and tranquility, but my heart is so heavy I couldn’t enjoy it.
Another pilot whale died today at the Marine Mammal Conservancy where professionals and volunteers alike have been working shifts around the clock to save these beached whales. This particular whale was in critical condition and despite all efforts, couldn’t recover.
Two pilot whales remain and every effort is being made to help them recover. The prognosis is good. One whale is swimming on her own. The teenage whale still needs to be supported and is receiving medical treatments for pneumonia through her blow hole, but is said to be progressing nicely.
My first shift begins at 7:30am tomorrow (Wednesday) and I’m looking forward to holding and wetting down the little pilot whale! Maybe tomorrow night I’ll feel that I can enjoy the tropical splendor around me!
Zoologist Patty Smukall and I join the rescue team tomorrow morining


1 comment:

  1. Looking good ladies! Amazed by your endlessly giving hearts - thanks you for what you do for our world!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete