Tuesday, June 7, 2011

SHE SAID.... Man's Job vs Woman's Job


Dawn Boyle

Man's Job vs Woman's Job - very interesting topic my friend Tony!!

I have mentioned before that I am married for 11 years - together for an additional 5. After 16 years  - I have found a certain dynamic here in this "FAMILY". Turns out that Greg's job is to get up and go to work. My job is everything else including working and co-creator of this blog.

When we first got married we were making a lot more then we are now. The first mortgage on our first house was $1,500 a month and we didn't have two kids. We were both working full time and we had a cleaning lady come in 2-3 times a month. I would cook every night and we would sit, drink wine and listen to music together. I foolishly started doing EVERYTHING. It all turned into MY JOB.

As years have passed more and more has been put on my "plate". The cleaning lady was "let-go", yet the landscaper stays. Laundry is my clothes, the kids clothes, Greg's clothes and then his work clothes.  He used to do his own work clothes laundry - said he didn't want his princess to touch his dirty work stuff - somewhere along the line it became okay for me to deal with the "plumbers laundry" and my princess status was apparently revoked. Basically anything that was "SHARED" has been split down to - Greg goes to work and OCCASIONALLY will take out garbage... everything else is the "Princesses'" job.

AGAIN...before Mr. Personality chimes in here with some b/s comment about me not really doing anything - I want to make sure I  am clear on one thing - THIS IS MY OWN FAULT AND DOING! Catering to someone's every need is NOT a good idea, that is unless you like to clean up after someone's shit - and I am talking a lot of people's shit - Greg the Plumber is available for all your plumbing needs! The Princess will be at home working, doing a blog, and probably taking out the garbage as well!

Tony - wanna switch off days? I can come help you Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You come help me Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday? We can both take off Sunday!!!

Total side note - I have also scraped and painted our 1950's garage door and painted the entire 1st and 2nd floor of my house while he was "working". I have installed all the curtains and put up the pictures as well. I am going to rip out the upstairs bathroom in September when the kids are back in school. What's that saying the shoe makers kids go shoeless??

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Dawn I still believe we programed ourselves after June Clever and all those older generation sit-com Mom's why we ever said its "ok honey I'll do it". Because thats what we thought was the norm. Ha were we wrong!

    How I wish Marty Mcfly and his time machine were around there is so much I would go back in time to fix certain life choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure where I got it from...even Mrs. Brady had help!

    I wait daily for that Delorian to show up by the clocktower - MANY MANY THINGS WOULD CHANGE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Delorian comes by --- Someone BEST pick me up! Can you say... 1980-Something! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn I will take you up on your switching offer if we get to spend that Sunday day off together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the plan TONY!

    ReplyDelete