Thursday, March 24, 2011

ANOTHER HOLLYWOOD ICON GONE


Marion Pellicano Ambrose

“Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79 of congestive heart failure.” I read the headline and thought “Hmm, another Hollywood icon is gone.” Then I turned the page and didn’t think about it again. That is, not until I happened upon an article on the web that announced that the infamous Westboro Baptist Church was planning to picket her funeral to protest her advocacy of AIDS research and her multiple marriages.  Margie Phelps, the daughter of Fred Phelps ,who heads up the church , posted the following tweet on Twitter : “spreadin’ the word that Westboro will picket funeral of serial-adulterous fag hag RIP Elizabeth Taylor Yay!”

I was shocked and disgusted, and that’s when I became interested enough to look into the life and legend of Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

I’m sure you’ve read the many articles on her glorious film career and the long list of her marriages. And then there was the scandal of her stealing Eddie Fisher from his wife, Debbie Reynolds so soon after the death of her own husband, producer Mike Todd.

There is no doubt, Liz Taylor lived large. Her collection of jewelry became as famous as her impressive list of acting awards and ex husbands, yet I will remember her for something different. In 1993, because of her advocacy for AIDS research and for other causes, Elizabeth Taylor earned a special Oscar, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. As she accepted the Oscar Taylor said:

“I call upon you to draw from the depths of your being — to prove that we are a human race, 
to prove that our love outweighs our need to hate, 
that our compassion is more compelling than our need to blame."

I thought about those words and about the fact that this woman stood up for the rights of her fellow human beings who were (and still are to some degree) oppressed because of their sexual preference. It was not only unfashionable, but actually taboo and quite risky to do so at that time. She risked her career and her reputation at a time when minds were so very narrow, for the sake of both friends and strangers. That took courage and conviction and I admire her greatly for it.

To the members of the Westboro Baptist Church I say SHAME on you for your narrow, homophobic, unchristian, and inhumane attitude. I wonder if any of your congregation has done even half as much for your fellow man as this incredible woman.

Elizabeth Taylor, I salute you. Rest in Peace, and thank you for showing us how to live by the courage of your convictions!


See the writers & friends comment & interact as well as get post updates via status post!


      

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't a fan but I do respect all that she did for the AIDS Foundation and other charities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Marion! The "Church's" protest does fly in the face of all the compassion and grace that Taylor brought to such a controversial subject. We should follow her example and not let hate, fear and ignorance deter us from what we believe in. R.I.P. Elizabeth Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. May all the positive things that she did as a humanitarian come back to her in blessings in the hereafter.

    ReplyDelete