Saturday, April 23, 2011

FIRE FIASCO

Marion Pellicano Ambrose

I didn’t think much about fires except for the usual smoke detectors on the walls and fire extinguisher under the sink kind of thing. I heard about fires in other people’s homes, but since my family and I are so careful and well informed I knew I would never have to worry about that. I was wrong!

It was just before Christmas and I was baking Whiskey cakes for my husband’s antique car buddies as I always do. Each year I make 4 (two at a time). This year he asked me to make a 5th for another friend. These cakes are expensive and quite a lot of work, so I decided to do 2 and then 3 at a time. The first 2 went well. When I was making the sauce for the remaining 3, I failed to make allowance for the extra hot liquid, which foams up when you add the whiskey to it. It foamed up alright, but it flowed right over the pot all over the stove top and burst into flames. I quickly removed the pot and turned to my husband who was watching TV and failed to notice the inferno in the kitchen. “Honey, I think I have a little problem here!”  I pulled out the fire extinguisher when he suddenly jumped up and grabbed it from my hands. “NO”, he shouted,”You’ll ruin the whiskey cakes!”(which were sitting right next to the stove). He grabbed dish towels, wet them and covered the fire. The alarm was blaring and the house was totally filled with smoke in an instant. It looked like the great Chicago Fire as he opened our windows and smoke poured out. Our alarm is attached to a security company and they called to tell us the fire department was on their way. “Oh no!” I cried “Can’t you stop them? Everything’s OK.” It was too late. I could already hear the sirens wailing closer and closer. 

My husband and I ran outside as the fire truck screeched to a halt in front of our house. Big, tall men in full fire fighting gear jumped out and ran up to the house. I was mortified. “I’m so sorry!” I told them! My husband told them the story, adding that I thought I was the Galloping Gourmet, but with whiskey instead of wine. (Very funny dear!) The fire fighters were so kind and understanding. They said it happens all the time and they were glad we were OK. I ran in and wrapped up one of the whiskey cakes I had already finished. When I offered it to them to thank them, the crew chief said “We’re really not supposed to accept things like this....”he sniffed it..  “But we will!”  We all laughed and shook hands and they were off and on their way. I was still embarrassed, but felt better having shared the cake with them.
“Don’t worry Marion”, my husband said, “Next time the alarm goes off we know they’ll be here twice as fast. They’ll think they’re getting more whiskey cake!” Then, he ran right to his computer and told the world what happened on Facebook!

After I got over my embarrassment, I started to think about what would have happened if the fire had spread. It made me realize that no one is fireproof, no matter how informed or careful you are. Accidents happen and the only thing to do is be as educated and prepared as possible. To that end, I’m including a few tips that might help you be prepared or even avoid a fire in your home. Believe me, I’m not preaching. I’m sharing my experiences so you won’t have a fire fiasco like I did!

Marion’s Tips For Fire Safety at Home
1. Never throw used match in the garbage without dipping them in water first, or wait until they are totally cold. The same with cigarette butts.
2. Don’t smoke in bed or lying down and don’t allow guests to either. Your BEST bet – no smoking in the house at all.
3. Keep matches, candles, lighters, etc. away from kids and pets.
4. Never leave fireplace, candles, space heaters or even incense unattended. Make sure NOTHING is near that could catch fire from flame or heat.
5. Keep fire extinguisher and a large box of baking soda under the sink near the stove, near the fireplace and in the garage. Learn what to use and what not to use on certain types of fires (Never throw water on grease fire.)
6. Don’t plug too many things in any outlet and be sure your cords are not frayed or cut anywhere.
7. Buy irons, heaters, curling irons, etc that turn themselves off if they tip over or if you forget to turn them off.
8. Install smoke detectors and check them every month. Change the battery on your birthday!
9. Make an emergency plan with your family which includes escape routes (and keeping close to the ground), how to get out if doors are blocked, where to meet outside and what to do if you catch on fire (stop, drop, roll)  
10. If you don’t have 911 in your area, post fire department number by phones but instruct children to get out first and go to a neighbor to call.
And don’t forget to appreciate, value, and respect the men and women who put their lives on the line for our safety when an emergency occurs – Fire Fighters, Police Officers, and Paramedics! 





4 comments:

  1. Hey, how about sharing the recipe for whiskey cake in the Eatery. With enough whiskey to start a fire it must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say Marion,your life is certainly not boring.I might start a fire in my kitchen if it means big , handsome firemen will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot in the kitchen in more ways then one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how it is Marion! I have to do drastic things to get my husband's attenton too!

    ReplyDelete