Friday, April 29, 2011

A MOTHER'S ANGUISH: The Conclusion

Marion Pellicano Ambrose

Governor Scott has just become Saint Rick to me! Because of his intervention, my son has his Social Security back, but that’s only part of the story!

When I wrote to the Governor, I immediately received an “I got your message and I care about your concerns” letter.  I figured I was politically “brushed off”.  I was wrong.
Last week I received a letter from the Director of the Department of Health’s Office of Disability Discernment. She told me the Governor has marked my son’s case “Governor’s Inquiry” and that he asked her to look into it and assist us in any way possible. She assigned her assistant to the case and gave me her number for my son to call. I called first to speak to Miss Jones, and explain the situation. Because my son is 25, he was the one who was supposed to speak with her but after I filled her in, she assured me that even if my son wouldn’t call her, she would act on his behalf. Amazingly, I got him to call and speaking to him left no doubt in her mind that he was permanently disabled. She assured him that she would speak with the person making the decision about his Social Security personally, but neither she nor the Governor could guarantee the outcome. All they could do was try.

Two days ago I received a call from Miss Jones. She knew that I was frantic about my son’s situation and that I wasn’t sleeping just thinking about him being on the street. She informed me that she had found an agency in Brevard County that located a couple that took my son in and gave him room, board and food for free. Their home was located down the block from his college. This couple had 6 children they were also caring for. What amazing people! She also told me she had spoken to the person making the decision and given him all the facts about my son. She couldn’t tell me the outcome, but she said we could expect to hear within the week. She also talked to the local Social Security Office to be sure the process was expedited and that they knew the Governor was interested in the outcome of this case. 

Miraculously, instead of the usual 6 months and probable discontinuation of benefits, my son got a call that he was absolutely disabled and his benefits would not be touched. The entire process took less than 2 weeks! Without the help of Governor Scott and Miss Jones, my son would have been homeless and had to wait months to know for sure, and even then he would probably have been cut off. I am SO grateful to our Governor and the Office of Disability Discernment and especially the very kind and caring Miss Jones! I’m also grateful to so many readers who have prayed for us and offered help and suggestions. Your kindness and support meant more than you could ever know.

Finally I’d like to thank my DRL family for their support and for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts, feelings, and spooky stories with all of you!

From this day forward, this is my own personal prayer:

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve; I was made weak, that I might learn to humbly obey.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy; I was give poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness, that I might feel the need for God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life; I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all, most richly blessed.
                                                           -Unknown Confederate Soldier’s Prayer


Click Below to Follow the Story from the beginning...




7 comments:

  1. Marion after all the bad mouthing I did this week questioning our politicians, it is refreshing to see the RIGHT THING get done! I am so happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news and a happy ending! Thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life Marion.I followed this story with great sadness and now am so happy for the outcome. God bless you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN to ANSWERED PRAYERS!
    Blessings to all those who helped and prayed for Marion! I am so happy for you and your family. I was truly flooded with tears when I read the good news last week! It's about time justice happened quickly for the deserving! AMEN AMEN AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many stories like these don't have happy endings, truly happy that your son's did. May this bring you and your family some peace. May others find a sense of hope from your good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marion, I am so happy this had a happy ending for you and Joe. I wish him only the very best of luck in his new environment and hope that he can continue to live a happy and productive life.
    Karlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how I love Happy Endings.
    This was it and beyond!!!
    Truly an answered prayer.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad for this turn of events. God is good!

    ReplyDelete