Saturday, April 30, 2011

TOP GEAR


Marion Pellicano Ambrose

I’m not into NASCAR or any of the car shows that are on TV these days, so why do I love to watch TOP GEAR on BBC? Perhaps it’s the beautiful views of the English countryside and other parts of Europe as they race, rally and ride all over. It could be the camaraderie of the three English hosts, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, and their adorable British accents! I’m sure that’s part of it, but I think I just envy the crazy, fun things these three grown men do on a daily basis and call it a job!

My favorite adventure was when they played soccer…..using giant inflated soccer balls and mini coopers! They laughed until they cried and I laughed with them. They had so much fun doing the ridiculous, as they always do. Another great show was when they raced against the British Postal System, who guarantees delivery in a day. They raced across the English countryside to beat a letter and lost! I love the mishaps and obstacles they overcome with humor and determination. Whether they compete against each other, a plane, a ship, or even giant soccer balls, it’s always funny and entertaining.

A regular part of the show is having a celebrity guest race on their special track. The celebrity is given short training by the secret race driver called “The Stig” (we never see his face) and then does his best to beat the scores of all the other guest celebrities. The funniest part is the camcorder in the car as they race. It’s amazing what they say and in some cases sing as they rip around the turns and straight aways.

The final thing I love about TOP GEAR is that it’s a show I can enjoy with my husband. We have such opposite tastes in TV that it’s a rare thing that we can enjoy the same show. We usually have to take turns, I get Bones and he gets The Smoking Gun! I get the old Cary Grant movie and he gets Clint Eastwood. It works!

We were excited when they decided to make an American  TOP GEAR, but unfortunately, it just didn’t measure up. Maybe I just need those adorable British accents after all!
   

2 comments:

  1. Great show! I agree, the American version is lame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this show! I guess it's the British humor!

    ReplyDelete